At least six businesses in Emmaus, near Chestnut Street and 10th Avenue, were evacuated early Thursday afternoon because of a gas leak.
Emmaus police said in a news release that the leak was caused by a driver crashing into the United World Travel Services building at 1031 Chestnut Street and hitting the gas meter outside the parking lot. The building was damaged, but is stable. One person was injured.
The driver of the vehicle was not injured and it was determined that the cause of the crash was due to health problems. In this case, there are no pending claims.
The Emmaus Fire Department was on scene until UGI arrived to shut off the street’s gas main. At UGI’s request, the PPL has temporarily cut off power in nearby areas.
UGI spokesperson Joseph Swope said workers were in the process of repairing the meters and restoring service by late this afternoon.
Please check the latest information.
https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-emmaus-gas-leak-20221110-urrom4shojbrdnj6ud55mpa6tq-story.html#ed=rss_www.mcall.com/arcio/rss/category/news/local/ Emmaus businesses evacuate to Chestnut Street after gas leak from crash – The Morning Call