Post:Has been updated:
Copenhagen, Denmark (AP) — Six weeks after one of Norway’s worst landslides in modern history, the investigative team found two more bodies in the rubble, officials said.
A total of nine bodies have been found so far, and it is believed that a landslide that struck a house in a residential area in Ask village on December 30 killed another.
Authorities said last month that they were unlikely to find survivors and stopped the search at sub-zero temperatures. A helicopter and a drone with a heat-sensing camera flew on the devastated hillside of Ask, part of the Gjerdrum municipality with a population of about 5,000.
The landslide destroyed at least nine buildings with more than 30 apartments in a village located 25 km (16 miles) northeast of Oslo.
Police spokeswoman Mari Stoltenberg said late Tuesday that there was growing hope of finding the last missing person after the two latest bodies were found.
According to Stoltenberg, the victim has not yet been identified, but was found under a two-meter (more than six feet) quick clay. Quick clay can rapidly change from solid to liquid when disturbed. The exact cause of the landslide is not yet known. However, combined with excessive rainfall and humid winter weather, Quick Clay may have contributed to the landslide.
In 2005, Norwegian officials warned people not to build houses, saying the Ask area was a “high risk area” for landslides, but the houses were built in the second half of the decade.
A landslide in central Norway in 1893 killed 116 people. It was reportedly up to 40 times larger than that of Ask, where 1.4 million to 2 million cubic meters (49.4 million to 70.6 million cubic feet) of land fell.
Two more were found six weeks after the Norwegian landslide
Source link Two more were found six weeks after the Norwegian landslide